
What was left of the little party after 9 pm: (L to R) me, Jiun, Wei Liang, Weng Hoe and Quan Yuan. I think Wen took this picture that's why she's not here.

Okay it had been a busy weekend, which perhaps could be a prelude to the start of my final term at college, deemed to be the most important and most difficult period of study ever. Sure, I'm looking forward to going back and seeing all our college buddies again, but unfortunately there seem to be a few ahem to put it mildly...problems awaiting us.
But back to the weekend.
Saturday was the big *day* - the reunion.
UTTER DISASTER.
And that's being a tad too kind.
Okay it wasn't sooo bad. But the opening few minutes threatened to suck me back into that disillusioned, tasteless charade I endured for the last 2 years of my school life.
I arrived at delicious cafe about 7. 15 pm-ish, with Quan, Wen, Jiun, and Choon Seng having arrived before me. We just spent the first 10 minutes basically talking (girls among girls, boys among boys) and catching up.
The unexpectedly, Wei Kit, Meng Leong (!) and Choon Seng turned up, so we went into the cafe and took our seats. It was a trifle akward to say the least, as the sheer lack of numbers in our little gathering was sorely highlighted by the vast amount of seating space remaining even after everyone had taken their seats.
A table for 20+, and our little party of 12 was occupying it.
Me, Wen and Jiun were truly the rose among the thorns as Lian had to call off suddenly with a severe fever and cramps while Xin Wei had a family dinner to attend.
Things got from bad to worse as the boys sat opposite us and began talking amongst themselves, practically ignoring us. Oh, just like the good old days. It became even worse when they informed us that they were merely staying for a drink, as they were hotfooting it off to Yong Meng's birthday party at Stephanie's house. A very long drive to Glenmarie, they assured us hence the need to leave early.
I resist the wholehearted urge to say: Why bother turning up at all then?
But then my mum said later: At least they bothered to!
And she was right.
We could have been down to 6. Lol.
This is an open blog hence I won't spill too much dirty laundry, but all the same I was pretty glad when Choon Seng, Meng Leong and Wei Kit left shortly after that. The atmosphere kind of eased instantly, and the arrival of Weng Hoe helped. My discomfort and annoyance ebbed away slightly, but only a little.
The 3 of us girls decided to order my favourite Duck Comfit Spaghetti (with garlic and sun dried tomatoes!), Wedges and sour cream and Classic Beef Lasagna. When the guys ordered their food, I was feeling so fed-up and sceptical that I asked (sarcastically): You're ordering food? That means you're eating? (read: staying beyond the half-hour mark)
Surprised, they were like: Uh, yeah?
Oops. Told you I'd become disillusioned.
Ezmir soon arrived, and talk began to flow a little more freely around the table. By the time the spaghetti had arrived, Wen and I were chatting happily with Quan about his AUSMAT program, and reminiscing about the *terrors* of Pn. Lim Mui Lee! However, the talk sort of dwindled towards the end when they made clear their intentions to leave eventhough it was only what? 9 pm? Sad.
And the bill was another embarassing affair. Quan spent like 15 minutes with Wen's calculator trying to work out how much each person owed, tax, drinks etc. Oh God, I swear the staff were laughing at our poor mathematical abilities and petty arguments. And when we got the spare change of RM 10 back, it was even worse. Finally, we decided to resolve the argument outside, safe from their prying eyes and patronizing giggles. Quan said it was too bad that the change wasn't RM 12, so that it could be equally divided between the six of us. RM 10 divided by 6 is like RM 1.70, which is quite impossible to do. In the end, we decided to go to McD's to buy ice-cream and quit quarreling about the change.
What a pathetic end to a reunion.
Regretfully, I think I did not do myself justice by dropping hidden caustic comments throughout the dinner conversation, but I just found it so difficult to hide my disgust and dissapointment at *some people*'s attitude.
I got home in time to watch the Chelsea v Hull match and I nearly cried after we drew 0-0 with the Humbersiders. Another 2 precious points dropped due to lack of quality finishing and unbelievably pluck and lucky defending from the Tigers. I'm so sick of watching them already, it's game over; the title's lost already. If Man utd win against Fulham on Wednesday, they will be 10 points ahead. Let's just concentrate on the FA Cup and Champions League. If even the likes of Aston Villa have leapfrogged us, I have absolutely nothing to say.
Luckily, my movie date with Pooh the next day was much, much better. It's just like my college mates bring me the stability and *non-drama* attitude that I crave, whereas *drama and issues* seem to follow my former classmates wherever they go. Wen and I have bent over backwards to accomodate them, almost falling down to our knees and begging them to grace our little soiree. Even when they spurned us, we resorted to behind-the-scenes persuasion but to no avail. The refused to reply Weng Hoe's messages, feigning pretence and ignorance. We greeted their *busy* excuses with sceptical eyebrows.
Enough, before I ruin my reputation.
We watched Inkheart, which frankly speaking, took several drastic turns for the worse from the original book. The characters were not as I had quite imagined, and the plot and character development left much to be desired. Of course, what irked me was the extremely wide deviations the screen adaptation took from the novel, but what to do...The screenwriter had obviously read Inkspell, as there were many references to the sequel scattered throughout the movie including the ending; which to me spelled the producer's intent that they were not going to make a second movie. Dustfinger and Roxanne's reunion at the end had effectively bypassed about half of Inkspell and to be honest, was done really tackily instead of the tension-filled entrance Dustfinger was supposed to have.
But it was much much better than that horror of a movie that they called Eragon.
I fear for Cirque du Freak, and the extent of how much the script-writers have meddled with the plot, but I still anticipate the debut of my favourite half-vampire to the silver screen eagerly.
Oh nevermind, at least I have the mindblowing Abhorsen Chronicles by Garth Nix to distract me. I read Sabriel until nearly 4 am last night, it was so good. Even better than The Black Magician Trilogy. Nix has created an ingenuous world of chaos, mystique and magic shrouded in mystery, with danger and suspense lurking around each corner. Brilliant stuff, and high fantasy of the classiest order. Not for the faint-hearted, this trilogy is definitely for the 15 and above audience.
Oh yes, I also watched the North-London derby between Spurs and Arsenal with my brother. Apart from the dumb sending off of Eboue (he was asking for it), the game was entertaining and feisty, but lacked that essential ingredient: goals!
BPL Results:-
Sunderland 2 Stoke 0
Arsenal 0 Spurs 0
Man Utd 1 West Ham 0
Liverpool 3 Pompey 2
Man City 1 Boro 0
Chelsea 0 Hull 0

No comments:
Post a Comment