Monday, May 24, 2010

Little Snippets

Just a few little updates:-

1. Against all odds, Blackpool narrowly beat Cardiff 3-2 in the Championship play-offs last Saturday to clinch a spot in the top flight next season after an absence of 39 years. A warm welcome to the Seasiders who will join Coco-Cola Championship winners Newcastle and runner-up West Bromwich Albion in the EPL for the 2010/2011 season.

2.IH Food Fair last Saturday!!! It was awesome awesome fun, eventhough I only helped with half the cooking (more on why next line), AND we didn't win :(. Team Malaysia comprised Wen Hao (leader in name), Kevin Kang (de facto leader), Young, Mandy, Esther, Daphne, Ruiting, Caren and her brother Ah Mok, Yu Ning, Liz and myself. Seeing as Malaysia had won for the past 3 years, none of us were keen to break our winning streak. After a long deliberation, we decided on roti canai, nasi lemak, bubur cha-cha, sea coconut and longan, curry chicken, honeydew sago and teh tarik. Sounds delicious right? The others started cooking at around 10 am, while Mandy and I designed the menu. At around 2pm, I joined the others at Wen Hao and Ruiting's place. While Yu Ning and I decorated the menu, the others were having great fun trying to reproduce the great taste of Malaysian desserts! Caren and Ah Mok were cooking up a storm with their nasi lemak and curry chicken, people from other teams kept on wandering into their unit because of the delicious smell haha. At around 3 pm, Esther, Yu Ning and I fried 30 pieces of roti canai using a back-burner, which was sooo fun! Sadly, I had to leave at 4.45 pm as I was singing in the SUMS concert that night, but my wonderful friends managed to save me some stuff from the Food Fair so I didn't miss out completely :). We finished off the night with some Malaysian bonding time by watching 'Hitch'.

3. Mozart's Mass in C Minor! Wow, it was such an amazing experience to sing in a real concert, with a professional orchestra. The audience only numbered no more than 150, but it was still truly such a wonderful feeling to bring one of the most beautiful and haunting masses ever written to life. And by some strange coincidence, I happened to glance up at a stained glass window depicting Mary and the infant Jesus just as the soloist was singing the words, 'ex Marie a virgine.." during Laudamus-te. So poignant. The sound that we were producing was magnificent; even Greg admitted that. If I have the time next semester, I'd love to do it again. The only blip was the mini coughing fit I had during the matinee performance on Sunday after the first two movements; I was absolutely terrified that my coughs would echo around the Great Hall, distracting the orchestra and incurring the wrath of Greg!

4. ASSIGNMENTS ALL DEAD DONE AND DUSTED WHEEEEEEEEE! I finished the Accounting assignment a week early, and although I still have to build the database for INFS1000, it still doesn't discount the fact that all my WRITTEN assignments have been successfully handed in. I need a break, 4 assignments in one week is really no mean feat, and my dark circles are extremely prominent.

5. David Villa has finally put to bed months of speculation by joining Barcelona in a 40 million euro deal. Now the burning question on everyone's lips is: Will Cesc Fabregas be joining him? Reports coming out of London seem to suggest that it is only a matter of days before Cesc rejoins his hometown club, as he has finally gotten fed-up with the Gunner's (dis)abilities to win trophies at the top level. I think he'll go, but we'll just have to wait and see. Lastly, Ben Foster has finally put an end to his Man Utd nightmare, joining Birmingham in a 6 million pound deal.

6. Inter have become the first Italian club to win an unprecedented treble; beating Bayern Munich 2-0 in the Champions League final 2 days ago to complete a hat-trick of titles: Serie A, Italian Cup and European Cup. Congrats to Jose Mourinho, who became the youngest manager in history to win the CL with two different clubs. But will he be at Inter or Real next season? Another question that's just dying to be resolved.

No comments: