Top 6 Reasons Why Prom Sucks:-
6. THE FOOD.
-I don't know if it's just a coincidence but the 2 proms I've been to? Let's just say the culinary skills of those 5 star hotel master chefs are in serious doubt. I'm starving.
5. THE MUSIC
-Please cut out the those screeching American Idol and Rockstar INXS wannabes and actually get in people who can sing. And warning: If you're not Celine Dion, please do not attempt to sing her songs. I don't bring earplugs to formal events.
4. HEELS
-My feet are hurting like crazy. I know we women have to suffer to look good, but can you name me a more cruel invention than 2 inch heels worn for 6 consecutive hours??
3. EXPENSES
-A girl can thank her lucky stars if she can fit her ticket, dress, make-up, hair, shoes, bag and accesories et al under RM 300 (yours truly managed to). But honestly, prom is just an expensive excuse to get glammed up. Unless that is, you manage to get a guy to take you and foot the ticket bill.
2. SAYING GOODBYE
-You know at the end where they start playing those graduation and weepy sob-sob songs? Yea, those kind of moments. Where the hankies start to come out. Since the prom's normally at the end of high school or college, it's always difficult saying goodbye to those people who've you've grown to trust, like and maybe even love.
1. FEELING STUPID
-I really don't want to say this, but proms are really akward for us swinging singles. Or maybe that's how it seemed to me. I know that all those Seventeen magazines are always stressing about the "fun" and "benefits" of going solo to the prom but let's be a little realistic shall we? The prom is traditionally a romantic, couple-y event. Who are you going to dance with when they start playing those slow romantic numbers and the DJ's hollering to all the couples in the house to step right up on the dancefloor? Look next to you. Whoops! It's your best friend, not some cute guy. So sorry. Just sit down and eat your banana crumble, and slowly wait while the seconds tick by. And soak in the couple love.
.................................................................................
Wong Su-Wen is normally not such a bitchy cynic and actually quite likes the glitz and glamour of a prom. She just isn't in a good mood when she's starving and sporting sore feet, and drafting this post under a nightlight in the dead of the night.
-Excerpted from the green book of jottings, 25th June 2009, 4.00 am
Well, that was quite a few hours ago; my feet have stopped hurting, I've recovered from th embarassment of it all and I've had a decent night's sleep. So I'm going to offer a rebuttal to the list above.
Top 6 Reasons Why Proms Rock:-
6. SHOPPING
-Girls, do we really need another excuse to splurge on some ridiculously expensive dress that makes you look good? Bring on the proms people.
5. CAMWHORING (sp?)
-Again, the prom provides a perfect excuse to flash those pearly-whites at the camera lens at every available minute and hone those model poses. Need I say more? :)
4. LIVING THE DREAM
-Maybe this sounds a little lame, but you actually get to walk down a red carpet. And maybe, you'll just get to dance with the guy of your dreams. (A/N: No, don't look at me; not this year!)
3. SPYING
-Okay maybe spying's the wrong word, but it's really fun to see all your mates dressed to impress. Who knew the guys could actually scrub up so well? XD
2. DANCING
-Shake that booty people. It's a fight to the finish to be the last one standing on the dance-floor.
1. CAMAREDERIE
-And what better place to further bond and have fun with your mates than at the prom? Where would we be without our friends; who help us criticize the bad food, bad music and groan loudly when the Director of A-Levels gets up to make a speech? :)
PS RIP to the King of Pop, Michael Jackson who tragically died from a heart attack at 5.21 am this morning. The memory of a man who changed and revolutionised the pop music landscape will forever live on in songs like Black & White, Thriller, Beat It etc. He won't be forgotten.
PPS To Brian Yong, Jo Eve and Ka Heng who are heading back to their respective home states, travel safely guys. It's been a hell of a lot of fun knowing you, and I'll never forget you. Thanks for making college one of the most fun times of my life, and see you guys in August :)
No comments:
Post a Comment