Basically, I've been turning to mush for 2 weeks; part of fulfilling the promise I made to myself during the recent exams that I would let my brain hibernate for exactly a month before seeking employment. And cheers, I've just seen that Peony's Music at Centrepoint is looking for part-time music teachers!!! My fellow Diploma counterpart is working there as well, so if he can get the job (using Grade 8) I don't see why I can't with my Diploma. I hope. I just need to collect the cert. It's finally arrived. But it sure beats serving greasy burgers at McD.
Oh, and yea cheers to FedEx for making history by winning a 6th Wimbledon and becoming the first man in tennis history to win 15 Grand Slams. I was so afraid he was going to lose...my friend, Dani Turner in the UK and I were watching the match *together*..and she was supporting Roddick. Agonising! I knew Roddick was playing superbly, but I had no idea that he would take Federer that far! The match was a see-saw affair, with both players evenly matched. In the 5th set, we were both afraid that it would go on until 20 plus points each...which would take God knows how long. It was already approaching nearly 4 hours. My butt was like numb from being glued to the computer screen. And it didn't help that the stupid online channel kept on being disconnected at crucial moments. I watched until 1.30 am when it was 13 all. Aaargh. My mum made me off the computer, but I crept downstairs and on-ned the TV. Damn! It was over already. I saw Roddick sitting down with what looked like a glum expression...omg...could it be...? Yes! It was! As I saw FedEx strolling out waving his hands towards the crowd, I sighed with relief. Phew. Can't wait to tease Dani about it haha. But tennis will never beat BPL. And we're both really anxious for the new season to start in a month's time! :)
I haven't been out much...the downside of NO CAR. Not that I'm a fantastic driver (yet!) anyway. But I'm learning. I drove for 4 hours today, and I'm getting better. I only got 2 soft honks today haha.
Last Tuesday I went to Tropicana City with Pooh and Ariff...watched Night at the Museum 2 while Carynn watched Hannah Montana. I was still recovering from sore throat so I had to close my eyes while they devoured their Singapore Fried Mee Hoon and Curry Laksa. Meanies haha.
And yesterday was Jebat's farewell BBQ. I won't go on about how *flip-flop* I was about the whole affair. I think I must have changed my mind at least a dozen times. Almost all the girls had pulled out...so I must admit I wasn't very keen on going. And my parents were going out on Saturday night...so they wouldn't be able to take me back. But as I was at the MPPJ library at 4.45 pm on the day of the thing, Fei Ni called and pleaded (okay, that doesn't sound right. Fei Ni doesn't plead) for me to go, saying that she didn't want to go alone. Sure dear, if you can fetch me that is. No problemo she says. So in the end only Jia Ern owes Brian a free seaweed meal. (A/N: Brian if you're reading this, again I want to reiterate that we were so worried we were dissapointing you we hatched up the idea of belanja-ing you to make up for it. Please don't do it again, silence is the worst form of punishment!) The stupid part now that I think about it is that they could easily have taken me there and back in the end. Reason? Fei Ni picked me up after they left and we returned home later than them. 12.00 am. The latest I've ever been out. I don't have a curfew because this is the girl who always returns home before dark. Well, before this year haha. At 11.45 pm, my mum started calling with the whole safety lecture but I hung up; because she could lecture me at home: it's cheaper that way. And we were both already in the car anyway.
But I'm going too fast. Let me start at the beginning. Fei Ni had some surprise party thingy before the BBQ so she agreed to come at 8 pm. However, at 7.50 pm, she called saying that the birthday boy hadn't arrived, so she could only come at 8.30 pm. Fair enough. But I messaged her jokingly saying that if she came any later we might as well forget the BBQ and catch a late night movie! No hurry anyway. I wasn't even ready at 8 pm, my bro and I had been practising tennis service until past 7 so we came back quite late. At 8.45 pm, my parents went out with my father sniggering that if I didn't have enough to eat, they would ta pau something from the restaurant. *snort* The food wouldn't finish that fast!
I played Michael Buble's 'It's Time' album on piano until 9.15 pm when she finally arrived. She apologized, saying that the birthday boy was late because he had been playing badminton. (!!!!). Well, we were the last ones when we arrived there. I must admit, I got kind of a shock when I saw the small gathering. I knew that only like 10 guests were going to be there, but still...It was so akward to be with Jebat and Pik Yen's circle of friends without any of Joo, Jia Ern etc being there. Like I felt so lost. Eventhough they're my classmates, they're the ones I mix the least with. And I'm so sorry to admit that eventhough I have known Jebat for like 6 or 7 years, I was never that close to him; not even when we were in Prefects or LEO together. Heck, I even went to his house to interview his family for the school magazine in Form 5! But still...
Besides the two of us, there was Pik Yen, Jebat (obviously), Hock Soon, JJ, Ka Heng, Brian, Debbie, Joel, Zwee Ho, Tash and someone else I think...Debra couldn't come because she was sick. Omg!!! As Jebat nicely put it, "WTF!".
There was a guy we didn't know (we being Fei Ni and me) at one of the grills. Fei Ni being Fei Ni, walked right up to him and stuck out her hand. "Hi, I'm Fei Ni." He looked up and smiled. "Oh hi, I'm Chee Yong." Wait a second, could it possibly be...? "Where are you from?" "Segi College." O.M.G. I just couldn't help myself. "Erm, your name sounds very familiar...do you know Carynn?" Yes, I know, shoot me!!! Luckily, he didn't take offense or anything and just said he did. Fei Ni and I poked and nudged each other. Pooh would die if she knew he was here! We resisted the temptation of calling her and blurting out the news immediately. That would be really crude and obvious.
We wondered how he fitted in the picture but it turned out that Hock Soon had brought him. O..K. Since when was he friends with Jebat anyway? But that was none of our business. Instead, we just busied ourself chewing lamb bones and trying to toast (in vain!) marshmallows. They didn't go brown, just slightly warm. There was nothing much of note except Jebat getting really tipsy (eventhough I asked him how much he drank and it turns out we drank about the same amount) and jumping around and being more animated than I'd ever seen him in 7 years. That's putting it mildly haha. And another thing of note is that whiskey and Mirinda doesn't go well AT ALL. It tastes loads better with Coke. And no, I didn't get all smiley (!) like during the Kuantan trip. When counting the bill later, my mental arithmetic was fine. Apparently news of my supposed drunken state during the trip has spread, with Pik Yen and Debbie saying that they had heard about it. WHAT?! I wasn't drunk. I could still walk in a straight line and count. I was just slightly stupid-er than normal.
The party broke up at about 11.30 pm, with Fei Ni and I staying behind to help Brian and Tash clean up the place until about midnight. Jebat was pleading with the others not to make him finish up the rest of the booze, because his parents would kill him. I think the dad would! I remember I was so scared of him during the interview. He's in NUS now to do his Bachelor of Music. I'm sure he can do it. He's the first one of us to be leaving, and eventhough many of us are not very close to him; I'm sure we'll agree that we'll all be missing a good friend and classmate.
After I got home, I called Pooh eventhough it was 1 am, bursting to tell her who we had met there. And the best part: She said she already knew the day before! What a spoiler! It would have been so fun to hear her scream OMG or something like that.
PS The govt reversed one of the only smart decisions they ever made: By reversing PPSMI and teaching Science and Maths in BM again. Hello? People, WAKE UP. The whole world is learning it in English. English is like the knowledge language, even in Korea, Hong Kong, Japan etc they're all learning it in English. What? The rural people are falling behind? Excuse me, you're doing them a disservice! By forcing them to learn in English, it's forcing them to master the language. In the long run, this will be to their detriment because their English language mastery will forever be poor as a result of insufficent exposure to English. They can talk until the cows come home about putting more emphasis on English lessons, introducing Literature components etc but even I have been born long enough to know this won't work. The standard of English in Malaysia is already so poor, we should be rectifying it not worsening the problem. And that probably will just further hamper our future graduates' employability prospects as many employers already complain that their joblessness is due to their poor command of the language. And think of all the taxpayers' money wasted on laptops and CDs and textbooks; everything has to be reconverted. Needless to say, Dr. M is not happy about it. But that's not surprising, seeing as he was the one who implemented it. Many parents and teachers have written into the newspapers before and after the decision was made, but their pleas seem to have fallen into deaf ears. I forsee one issue which is going to crop up again will be the reintroduction of English-medium schools, as an alternative for parents who still want their children to learn the subjects in English. As a results of the new policy, the only solution would be to send the children to international schools. Unfortunately, this option is out of reach for most of the population due to exorbitant costs so latter would be an alternative which I can see gaining momentum.
My mother, needless to say is making a lot of noise (at home that is haha) because my brother will be affected in Form 4. Being the first batch to do Science and Maths in English since Standard 1, to suddenly switch to BM for the 3 sciences and 2 maths subjects would be equivalent to torture. For God's sake at least let the Form 4s continue in English and stop using them as guinea pigs! Imagine,instead of elements, compounds and mixtures for Chem it will be unsur, sebatian dan campuran. Sweet.
Wong completed the quiz "Which color best suits your personality?" with the result You are Green! .
You are Green! You are a cool yet energized person. You probably tend to be a little more introverted than extroverted - while you love being with your friends, you still need your "you" time. You are probably a rather laid back, zen sort of person, unless you get a good kick of energy; then you can be crazy fun! You are probably insightful and smart; logic comes easily to you. You tend to be a balance between red and yellow. Reds are passionate and intense, and tend to walk over people. Yellows tend to be the walked on, because they like to keep the peace. You, however, are a balance of both. You know when to lie down and let someone take the lead, but if you feel strongly about something, you're not afraid to stand up for it! You are probably compassionate as well, and like animals and plants. You may be a little off-beat, and feel like not many people really see the depth in your personality. You would probably rather keep things on a superficial level that other people can understand than show the deeper side of yourself. You, in a nutshell: Cool, energized, balanced, strong, funky, zen, deep, intelligent, logical, compassionate. GREEN! .
No comments:
Post a Comment