

Somebody was stretchered off




The 2 teams line-up before kick-off






Yea so I went to watch the Devils at Bukit Jalil Stadium yesterday. The stadium was only half-full, as most of the die-hard United fans had already got their fill of action on Saturday. My dad said that Saturday were all the United fans, while today was the rest of the Premier League haha. But there could have been some merit in that statement; because I saw loads of other jerseys besides AIG ones; I saw a 'Fabregas 4', Chelsea jerseys, England jerseys, I think maybe even a Real Madrid one!
The stadium was really hot, and I regretted not bringing a tie-grip. The players were already warming up on the pitch, but most pairs of eyes seemed to be focussed on the red shirts. I took some pictures to pass the time and finally, the commentator announced the names of the players while the big screen showed the line-ups and formations. SAF had gone with a weaker squad than the one on Saturday; but one that still included Owen, Giggs and Carrick. Foster started in goal (pleasant surprise; after that howler on Sat I expected Tomasz (sp?) to start).
At half-time, United were 2 goals to the good; thanks to lax defending from the hosts and killer finishing from Macheda and Owen. However, I couldn't really concentrate on the match (no) thanks to the idiots puffing away all around me. Luckily I had my bro's Man Utd scarf to hide my nose in whenever the stink got too bad. The second-half was draggy with the toothless Malaysian attack bringing many angry groans from the audience; as the young Malaysian players needlessly surrendered possession countless times. It was sooo boring. Even the stadium was half-asleep. United seemed to take their foot off the gas and merely ran circles round the host team for a long time. There were a few attempts at goal, but nothing too threatening (or interesting). By far, the loudest cheer of the night was for the introduction of Rooney with 20 minutes to go. He at least tried to inject some energy and pace into a match that was sorely devoid of much entertainment.
We left with about 10 minutes to go in order to avoid any massive traffic jams. My dad was absolutely right: It's way better on TV. There's Martin Tyler's commentary, flashbacks and close-ups. It's so difficult trying to get a good look at what the players are actually doing from so far away! But still, going to your first football match is always an experience. But the next one better be at Stamford Bridge....
No comments:
Post a Comment