Friday, March 13, 2009

D-Day

It started off like a nightmare. The results actually officially came out on the 12th, but for some God-forsaken reason, our dear HELP only received theirs at about 4 pm yesterday! Oh God. Methodist College released theirs at 12 pm, and it was TORTURE knowing the results are out, but not being able to see them. We kept badgering the lecturers and registry people about when the results would be out, to which they kept telling us that it all depended on when the results arrived from Edexcel. If they arrived on Wednesday night, they would be released on time ie the 12th. However, if they only received it on the day itself we would only be able to collect them on Friday. Worst case scenario: If the results only arrived on Friday, we could only see them on Monday (WTF!!!!). There were so many false alarms throughout the day; nobody seemed to be able to talk about anything else. Many of my classmates just clenched their fists in frustration upon hearing that MCKL had gotten their results; eventually bursting out with: I want my results NOW!!!

Waiting is horrible. The agony of it can consume you.

The past two days, I think I've consumed more alcohol than in my entire life. My father had been experimenting with variations of his home-made versions of Sangria (blame that new cocktail book of his); and he'd been making several glasses with differing juice, beer and wine concentrations. I've been so nervy, I drank like a whole glass on Wednesday night and couldn't stop smiling after that (is this what you call high?) and had another half while watching American Idol last night. Pointless poisoning of your liver, but sometimes one just needs a little pick-me-up and there was unfortunately no more Cloudy Apple and Pear (or regretfully, Hanepoot) juice in the fridge.

The night before, I kept on having dreams of As for every subject, but getting a D for Chem 4. 15/100! Omg. I felt so scared and panicky, I kept on waking up. It was alllll Brian Chin's fault for telling me that his super-smart friend in MCK had gotten all As and a D for Chem.

And on Facebook, Kenny was only too kind to remind us that it would be Friday the 13th the next day, eurgh. Even the fates were against us.

After a sleepless night, I awoke to gloomy skies and rain (it still is), and my mood began to mirror that of a thunderstorm. Call me a little superstitious, but I believe in a positive correlation between weather and grades. (On the days I collected my UPSR and SPM results, it was as sunny as Hawaii).

I forced down a sausage that tasted like cardboard for breakfast, and hurried to college. Entering the lower foyer, my heart lurched as I saw loads of my fellow college-mates, clutching white slips and talking busily on their cellphones. The place was buzzing with noise, but I noted (the panic escalating slightly) that there wasn't a single happy face in the room. Students were pointing to their slips, deep in discussion while some were just wandering around in a daze. I went to the table labelled 'T-Z', presented my ID, and collected that fateful piece of white paper. Folding it in half, I rushed to the entrance without opening it. And just in the nick of time too; I had evidently come during the lull-period between buses. Loads of my classmates and friends walked up the hill clutching umbrellas and books, wearing looks of grim determination on their faces.

I got into my mum's car, and at her insistence, steeled myself to lay eyes on the paper.

Edexcel GCE A-Levels January 2009 Results

Accounting Unit 1 300/300 A(a)

Chemistry Unit 3 120/120 A(a)
Chemistry Unit 4 83/90 A(a)

(A/N: What???!!! Am I dreaming? I expected to fail Chem 4!)

Economics Unit 3 117/120 A(a)
Economics Unit 4 80/90 A(a)

(A/N: Oh darn it, I was hoping for a clean score of 300/300 for AS)

Core Mathematics 3 88/100 A(a)
Statistics I 96/100 A(a)

(A/N: Very dissapointed with my Core 3 and Stats marks. I expected to do much better.)

Positives: No need to resit any papers. And since I think almost the whole class got A for Accounts, so Mr. Francis might be able to classify us as one of his best classes ever! :)

Negatives: Fei Ni and Carynn are probably dropping Econs! Who am I going to sit with and spend my free periods with now??? :(

BPL:-

Liverpool v Man Utd
Chelsea v Man City
Spurs v Aston Villa
Arsenal v Blackburn

No comments: