Thursday, June 19, 2008

Les Bleus Sent Packing

At least the pain from wearing that horrible contraption has subsided. I'm even getting used to not being able to swallow saliva anymore. But clarity of speech still eludes me, and I am resigned to the fact that I will probably have to shut my trap more often from now on. Even my father could not understand what I was saying (or mumbling) today. Surprisingly however, my mother and brother miraculously managed to interpret whatever I was trying to say.

Managed to watch 3/4 of both Group C Matches today. It was almost comical watching Luca Toni miss chance after chance, but even I couldn't help breathing a sigh of relief when Italy sealed their passage into the quarters when Danielle de Rossi struck a brilliant free kick past Coupet. The Italians were the better side by miles, and Les Bleus deserved to be shown the exit door after a truly dissapointing and lacklustre performance against Italy. They lacked creativity and penetration, and looked lethargic, with Benzema and Coupet looking like the only players that were halfway decent. However, most of the credit must go to Gigi Buffon for making that crucial penalty save against Mutu in Romania, which gave Italy that slimmest of chances of making it into the last 8; which they have. Back to the drawing board for Raymond Domenech, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was sacked after this disastrous campaign, with France finishing last in Group C with merely a single point. Weird: He proposed to his girlfriend after the match when being interviewed by the radio station where she works. Good timing, lol.

As expected, the Oranje 'B' team delivered a fantastic performance to outclass Romania 2-0, with goals from Klaas Jan Huntelaar and MOTM Robin van Persie :). I especially enjoyed watching RVP in the match, who revelled in his role as central striker; outshining Huntelaar and was a constant menace to the Romanian defence. His fantastic control on the ball, excellent eye for goal and knack for getting into great goal scoring positions put him in a class of his own and hopefully this means that he is back to his best. I'm just praying that he doesn't get injured AGAIN because Holland and Arsenal really, REALLY need him around....

Tonight: Spain vs Greece
Russia vs Sweden

Prediction: Spain to win 3-0, Sweden to scrape through 1-0

No comments: