Friday, June 20, 2008

Ronaldo Goes Home!!!

Eventhough I predicted Portugal would have Germany booking the early flight home, I am SO GLAD that the tables were turned and it is Ronaldo and co. that are heading home. Germany really turned on the style especially in the first half, where they raced to a 2-0 lead before Nuno Gomes pulled one back for the Portugeese. MOTM Schweinsteiger opened the scoring by flicking the ball with lightning quick accuracy past Ricardo after latching onto Podolski's cross, then 4 minutes later, Miroslav Klose headed home from an expertly taken free kick by Schweinsteiger. Skipper Nuno Gomes gave Portugal hope when he struck the ball into an empty net 5 minutes before half time after some defensive errors by the Germans. However, another clinical free kick from Schweinsteiger resulting in Michael Ballack's thunderous header; reinstated the German's 2 goal lead and effectively put the game beyond Portugal. The Portugeese then threw caution to the winds and threw everyone forward, looking desperately for a second goal but when Helder Postiga finally scored in the 86th minute, it was a case of too little too late and the Germans hung on through those last, nail-biting minutes to shut out Portugal's attempt at finding a last-ditch equaliser to book a semi-final date with either Croatia or Turkey. The Germans got it all right, especially tactically. Michael Ballack and Bastian Schweinsteiger bossed the midfield while the defence managed to subdue Ronaldo, Gomes, Deco and later on, Nani; thus depriving Portugal of their cutting edge. I must admit there were one or two dangerous moments, but all in all the pre-tournament favourites definitely deserved their victory and proved that they still have what it takes to win at the highest level. Well Done!

Tonight: Croatia vs Turkey (quarter-finals)

Prediction: Although dark horses Turkey are not to be underestimated after their dramatic victory over Czech Rep, I'm still gonna go for a Croatia win. Possibly 2-1 or 1-0.

On the political front, today's STAR was full of articles from ministers and other BN parties declaring their unwavering support for Pak Lah, branding SPP as 'greedy', 'selfish' and 'undeserving of being in BN.' Admittedly, they do have a point there about stirring up the peace but there's no smoke without a fire and I'm sure SPP have their reasons for such a drastic action. There may be hidden agendas and ulterior motives mixed up in this issue but as I am not in a very good position to say anything at the moment, we shall simply have to see whether the motion will be tabled at Parliament and if anything further occurs.

Played tennis today and wonders of wonders, my father says that I have improved so much that he seriously thinks my bro and I can start lessons already! Hard to believe, as I still cannot hit the ball exactly 90° in front of me....

And last but not least, a very warm welcome to the Victorian, who has decided to hop aboard the crazy bandwagon of adding to the motley mix of random writings and warped ramblings contained in this blog. May your creative juices flow as easily as your dry humour and satirical sarcasm! I pledge that your identity shall remain unknown save for the enlightened few *wink wink*.

No comments: