Well, it's been an interesting week back at college...so many new developments and experiences. But more on that later..first I want to write about the performance I just watched about 2 hours ago..Forever Plaid!
"Forever Plaid" is an off-Broadway musical that consists of a 4-man harmony quartet comprising the small and stout Sparky, geeky Smudge, Jinx and their unofficial leader, Frankie. They are currently performing at the Actor's Studio Bangsar from July 1-20. Having *tragically* died on the way to their first big gig (they were smashed by a bus full of Catholic schoolgirls on their way to see the Beatles), the show begins with the Plaids returning from the afterlife for one more chance of attaining musical glory.
The first 2 numbers were forgettable, but the show definitely livens up after that. The songs are typically old school Broadway numbers, with plenty of 'doo-dooos', sappy lyrics and corny choruses. However, the 4 lads have their own brand of charm and boyish appeal, and their fantastic performances more than makes up for the quality of the song lyrics. Although most of the dialogue wasn't that funny (I didn't really understand them), there were loads of moments of comedy, particularly nearing and after intermission. Stand-out numbers include "Perfidia" (where they paid homage to their buxom 3rd grade Spanish teacher), the melodious "Shangri-La", jazzy "Sixteen Tons", "Catch a Falling Star" and the piece de resistance, "Lady of Spain". In undoubtedly the funniest gag of the night, the quartet had the audience in stitches as Sparky cavorted around the stage first dressed as a Spanish senorita, then as a bull and charging through the matador, Jinx's red cloth. Yes, I could hear my father laughing his head off a few seats away.
After a very entertaining 90 minutes, the quartet signed off with their version of "Love Is a Many Splendoured Thing". For the oldies, it's a wonderful way to take a trip down Memory Lane as the Plaid lads served up their own takes on classic songs such as the Beatle's "She Loves You" (yes, sireee!), "Heart and Soul", and the finale. Definitely deserving of the rave reviews published in StarTwo, "Forever Plaid" is a wonderful show DEFINITELY not to be missed. So what if the plot's a little thin and the whole 4 part harmony thing is a little past its sell-by-date? Heck, even if the songs aren't exactly your cup of tea, you can always stare at the cute Frankie :)
It got me wishing a little wistfully perhaps that I would like to perform at least once (before I die and grow old) in a musical or a play. I love the arts, but it's definitely not a fantastically stable profession to go into. At least, not in Malaysia where we don't have Broadway or West End. In fact now I think of it, I haven't actually been on the stage for about 8 years..since I quit drama lessons. In secondary school, I preferred working behind the scenes (scriptwriter for 4 years!!); shying away from the spotlight. Oh well.
And now, away from the velvet curtains and mahogany stage of the theatre, back to reality.
Firstly, I am sad and surprised that Mr. James Chong, my chem teacher, has apparently retired from teaching (after only one sem with us!). He gave no indication that he was going to quit, even talking about the things he would be teaching us next term! Okay, he hated most of our class but still...? Now we have Mr. Yeap, and I would be lying if I say I didn't prefer him. Mr. James was great, but even then, Mr. Yeap really knows his stuff, being the longest-serving Chem teacher at HELP and he knows everything about Edexcel Chem at his fingertips. But it doesn't look as if he has any favourites and I haven't done myself any favours getting into his good books yet, so this may be the first time I go a term without endearing myself to the Chem teacher..lol. I know loads of people are glad that he's gone like Eu Jinn, but I for one can't help missing 'Grandpa James' a little..strict disciplinarian that he was.
And further bad luck..on Friday, Ms. Michelle came into the lab and announced that our class was going to be taken over by Mr. Francis! Yikes! I miss Mr. Awang already! I like him a lot, and the stories he tell are really funny! Mr. Francis taught Shawn korkor before, and Aunty Judy says he's good..but thanks to him, I GO BACK AT 4PM EVERYDAY NOW! God, this semester's timetable SUCKS. The timetable is friggin odd (12-4pm for two days!) and this means I shall probably languish in the library until gone five everyday. Fantastic.
But on the other hand, I'm beginning to like my class a lot better now. Due to the JPA scholarships, a few people have left and this means that several cliques have been broken. The class has shrunk to about 25, and this gives an opportunity for us to actually mix around more and become closer. I think I've laughed more this whole week that the entire last semester! The best part was on Thursday, where we kept on pressing the lift buttons so that the people in the lift kept on stopping at every floor! Absolutely hilarious to hear their shouts of annoyance, and the icing on the cake was when we stair climbers reached faster than them! In fact we were laughing so hard, we could hardly go up the stairs! Lame, but effective.
And I have aborted my decision to go for the SASA camp. Now that Felicia is not going, there is NO WAY I am going to Eagle Ranch (even if it's for a day and a half) with a whole bunch of people I don't really know and don't really like.
And, (surprise, surprise) I may even boycott the Chelsea match (I haven't asked my dad to buy tickets yet) because Red Rom is refusing to give Frank a new five year contract, and may sell him to Inter Milan! A travesty of the highest order, I am SO angry I am even thinking of wholly supporting the Gunners next season. Frank and JT are the heart and soul of the Blues, it's unthinkable to get rid of one of Stamford Bridge's biggest icons.
Cheer 2008 finals tomorrow. For the first time in 4 years, I won't be there. Since no one wanted to go with me, (and I didn't feel like going anyway); I'll just be hoping from my armchair that we can succesfully defend our title.
We are Dynamitez, together we unite!
No comments:
Post a Comment