So thanks to Li-Wei I finally get my hands on the much awaited 'Twilight' book, the first novel in the saga of the same name. After all the hype surrounding it (it seems like everybody in college is either a proud collector of the entire box set or has read at least the first book), I was expecting quite a good juicy read, despite the mixed reviews. Considering it was a New York Times Bestseller, I did harbour expectations that the book would be up to a certain standard.But you know what? The book did not live up to my lofty expectations. I won''t be giving any plot spoilers here though. So I will merely say that at my most magnanimous, it's a decent read. In my cruellest 'die-hard Darren Shan lover' moment, I will say it's a bloody flop.
Okay, I was forewarned that it was a romance book but really...even for a soppy lovey-dovey kind of book, this is really pushing the envelope. For practically 3/4 book, Bella and Edward do nothing but moon and pine for each other, and engage in some touchy-feely and making out. Then just as she's getting to know the family, cue a crazy vampire hunter who longs for her blood so much he's dying to kill her. Moments of panic, an intended self-sacrifice and a climax where the goodies triumph over the baddies. Bella and Edward are safe and sound together (for now) and the story ends happily ever after. Until the next book that is.
Lots of flirting without any real witty humour, and a plot that kind of falls to the wayside somehow because of the lack of real suspense or originality. Since there are 3 other books, you don't really expect Bella to die so fast at the climax of the book...but I think mostly the lack of real substance and action gnaws at me. As a reader whose first initiation to vampire novels was with Darren Shan, this is an entirely different kettle of fish. Or maybe I'm just a little revolted and not too captivated by the idea of falling madly in love with a vampire guy, however hot he may be. So I just can't identify much with Bella. It would be unfair to compare it with Darren Shan, but somehow I find the first book a bit too trivial and shallow for my liking. Lacking that oomph factor. However, I am obliged to finish off the whole series so another verdict after 'New Moon' then.
England won 2-0 at lowly Andorra after a Joe Cole brace saved Capello the blushes on what would have a been a reportedly feeble and pathetic performance. They need to step up a gear to even dream of nicking a point in Zagreb tomorrow.
Other matches:-
Scotland vs Iceland
Wales vs Russia
Italy vs Georgia
France vs Serbia
Spain vs Armenia
Brazil vs Bolivia
Holland vs Macedonia
Germany vs Finland
Czech Republic vs Northern Ireland
Predictions:-
Wins for: Italy, Spain, Brazil, Holland, Germany, Czech Republic, Russia, Croatia
Draws for: Scotland, France
Oh and congratulations Pooh for being succesful in your attempt to defect to the 'other camp'. Pray that our timetables won't clash and we will all be able to join you next term. And thanks for mentioning the possibility of my defecting to Mr. Awang. Really appreciate your thoughtfulness. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment